The Home Builders Association is excited to announce the first Home Show Junior Design Challenge. This thought-provoking and educational interior design competition is open to all Kansas City metro area junior high and high school students. Playing the role of interior designer, each student is asked to design a room based on the theme and criteria listed below. Ten semi-finalists in each age group will be invited to the Home Show where their designs will be presented on stage. From there, two finalists in each age group will be selected for a live challenge at the Greater Kansas City Home Show. The final on-site project will be judged by a panel of experts in the design field and one winner will be selected from each age group. You must be able to attend the Kansas City Home Show March 23, 24 & 25 to be eligible to win. No cost to enter.
This design competition is an excellent vehicle for students to explore an interest in interior design, as well as a great resume builder.
Two age groups available for competition with the following prizes awarded in each bracket:
10 Semi Finalists receive a $25 Ikea Gift Card
2 Runners Up receive a $100 Ikea Gift Card
Grand prize winner receive a $500 Ikea Gift card and $500 Cash
Client: 16 yr old boy or girl
Room Size: 15'x20'
LOVES + YOU MUST INCORPORATE......
to read in bed
has a creative side
loves Kansas City (museums, sports, art, people, you name it!!!)
PROBLEMS TO SOLVE.....
Unorganized…needs organization to create structure
Bed is a full size bed.
Parents want it to look cool with the door open! (Sound Familiar?)
Budget is $5K....nice but can go quickly. (Show how it is spent.)
RULES & REQUIREMENTS:
1. Create one mood board showing the design (Can take a photo of an actual physical one or can create it via a computer. Jpeg or PDF)
2. Must create one short video introducing yourself, your design style, and why you love design! (1 minute long, will need to send via a link, YouTube preferred)
3. Must do one space plan of the room from an aerial view. (Jpeg or PDF)
4. Show how you fit it all in a $5K budget. (Simple Excel or Word document)
5. Must source at least one local artist in the space.
6. All ideas must be your own. No help from others!
7. Must be in town and able to attend the Home Show March 23,24 and 25. Live design challenge will be taking place during the Home Show on Saturday so must have all of March 24 available.
8. Must have parent or guardian permission to participate.
9. Must be willing to participate in on-camera interviews and social media
10. All entries must be submitted by March 2 at 8 p.m.
Monday January 22- Friday March 2
Click HERE to enter the contest.
Wednesday March 7
Ten semi-finalists from each age group announced
Friday March 23
Semi-Finalists’ designs are presented at the Home Show and two finalists from each age group will be selected.
Saturday March 24
Live design challenge at the Home Show with finalists
Sunday March 25
The final on site project will be judged by a panel of experts in the design field and one winner will be selected from each age group.
Click the button below to enter the contest. Applicants will be asked to provide their basic info and answer a few questions about themselves and their design as well as upload their mood board, budget, aerial view and short video about their project. Please have materials ready for upload when you fill out the form.
For questions please contact email@example.com